Hyde United 0-4 Milton Keynes Dons


Highlights: Hyde United 0-4 MK Dons

MK Dons reached the FA Cup second round thanks to a routine victory over non-league Hyde United, a win boss Robbie Neilson hopes will give their season “momentum”.

The Dons had failed to win in five games going into Friday’s BBC televised game, while eighth-tier Hyde were unbeaten in 20 league matches.

In truth, a shock rarely looked on the cards. Aidan Nesbitt scored an excellent opener for the League One side with a first-time looping shot into the top corner.

Phattharaphol Khamsuk, Hyde’s most dangerous player in the first half, went close to an equaliser with a free-kick.

But just before half-time, Chuks Aneke scored a wonderfully nonchalant free-kick of his own to double the Dons’ lead.

Hyde never really looked like getting back into it, although Harry Coates headed over from a cross by Tom Pratt – who was due to start his night shift in a warehouse after the game.

Ethan Ebanks-Landell sealed the win from close range and then Ed Upson scored from 20 yards after being teed up by Aneke’s backheel.

Speaking on BBC Two, Neilson said: “It was a terrific night for us. It is a difficult place to come. Hyde were fantastic, I thought, but we managed to get through.

“It gives us a bit of momentum. We had a great month before our recent run.”

Northern Premier League Division One North side Hyde, who have never gone beyond the first round, had to come through five rounds of qualifying – six games, including a replay.

Manager Darren Kelly told BBC Sport: “It was a fantastic journey. All we could ask the lads was to match their effort levels. We were dead on our feet after 60 minutes.

“In terms of heart, desire and commitment we were there with them. We train two nights a week and they’re full-time. Some of their play was fantastic.

“All our home games, we’ve had 300 fans. Today we had 3,500. We’ve really enjoyed this run. Hopefully for our next league game we’ll get some more fans.”

A flare was thrown onto Hyde’s 4G pitch – which caused some damage to the artificial surface – but referee David Webb decided the game could go ahead


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *